Complex numbers for research software engineers
If you are reading this, most likely you are working on a computer-science related field. Why would you care about the square root of minus one (also known as i)? Let me give you a few reasons:
The mysterious number i:
- is the NaN of the Renaissance.
- appears in the Euler's identity, acclaimed as the most beautiful equation ever.
- allowed for difficult computations in aerodynamics before the computer was invented.
- can improve your numerical differentiation algorithms with minimal effort.
The slides are temporarily available here.
- 12 October 2020, 11:00 CEST. Online, for eScience Center members only.